Monday, June 29, 2009

English Conversation - INTERVIEW FOR A SALESMAN’S JOB

Ranjan has put out an advertisement to recruit ten salesmen and saleswomen. He received 500 applications. Mr.Rao is one of the applicants who have been called up for an interview. Ranjan and Niren are to interview the candidates.

Mr.kuldip Singh (On the telephone) Mr.Verma, Mr.Rao who applied for a salesman’s post is here. Shall I send him in?

Ranjan How many applicants are we interviewing this morning?

Mr.Kuldip Singh We have called ten applicants this morning, Sir.

Ranjan Have you sent in their applications to me?

Yes, here they are. All right, send in Mr.Rao after five minutes.

After five minutes, kuldip Singh shows Mr.Rao into Ranjan’s

Office.

Mr.Rao Good morning.Mr.Verma. I am Ramakrishna Rao.

Ranjan How do you do Mr.Rao? This is my colleague Mr.Sen.

Mr.Rao Good morning, Sir.

Ranjan Mr.Rao, we have here your application for a salesman’s post. Can you tell us something about yourself?

Mr.Rao I am a graduate. I am twenty-one years old. In my B.A., I had commerce as subject.

Niren Do you have any,

Mr.Rao This is my first regular job Sir. I was a student before this. But I do have a little experience in selling.

Ranjan If this is to be your first job. Where did you get the experience in sales?

Mr.Rao During my summer vacation, I used to work as a part time house to house salesman for a lady who embroidered table linen at home. I went from door to door selling her handiwork. I earned a small commission on the goods that I sold.

Niren That was enterprising of you. Didn’t that interfere with your studies Mr.Rao?

Mr.Rao Not really Sir. I did this work during my holidays when I had little else to do.

Ranjan What school did you attend?

Mr.Rao I studied at the Radha Krishna High School at calcutta, Sir. “The medium of instruction there was English.

I passed the Higher Secondary Examination from that school.

Niren Do you speak Hindi, Mr.Rao? That would be an essential requirement for a salesman in this area. Not everyone here speaks English.

Mr.Rao Yes, I do have a working knowledge of Hindi, Sir.

Ranjan How long have you lived in Delhi? Do you know the city well?

Mr.Rao I was in college in Delhi. I know the city fairly well. Moreover I can always find my way around the city by making inquiries.

Niren That is good.

Ranjan Why did you decide to take a job as a salesman?

Mr.Rao I think that a salesman’s job is an exciting and interesting one. It is a challenge and one would feel a great satisfaction in achieving the targets set.

Niren What made you apply to our company for a job? What do you know about our company?

Mr Rao I Know that your company was established in 1930 and is well known as a marketing organization for various electrical products like lighting systems, refrigerators, coolers air – conditioners and electric motors.

Ranjan What do you know about lighting systems Mr. Rao?

Mr.Rao I know that there are three main brands of lighting systems in the market already and that you have introduced a new brand. I am not a science graduate, but I am willing to learn whatever is necessary to sell your products.

Ranjan Well, it was nice meeting you Mr.Rao. We’ll be writing to you shortly to let you know whether we will be able to offer you an appointment. Thank you Mr.Rao for coming, good bye.


No comments:

Post a Comment